Mercersburg Academy extends its commitment to the global community with opportunities for summer study and cultural enrichment for international students. Nationally recognized as one of the top schools in the United States, Mercersburg is a private, college preparatory boarding school with a reputation for excellence that attracts young men and women in grades 9-12 from 30 states and 40 nations during the regular school year.
Our ESL+ summer program reflects this commitment to excellence. Extensive English development and rewarding cultural immersion experiences draw students who are committed to rigorous academic effort.
This intensive and creative program is open to international students who possess a working knowledge of the English language and are able to communicate on at least basic verbal and written levels. It features comprehensive and stimulating curriculum that improve communication skills in English speaking, listening, writing, and reading.
In the classroom, ESL+ students are divided by skill level, regardless of age. All students, Seniors and Juniors, are evaluated when they arrive and placed into classes based on core English competencies. This proven method for learning places students in environments where they are properly challenged, paced and supported.
While courses are taught according to ability to digest information and to apply acquired knowledge, the use of progressive teaching principles allows students who qualify to move easily up levels of study as they master essential skills.
In the residential halls and in extracurricular activities, Junior and Senior students are often separated. Each group has its own dormitory supervisors, activity leaders and teaching assistants. Activities and events are catered to the social needs and demands of the specific group.
- Competitive admission and limited enrollment in each grade level.
- Diagnostic testing and placement in appropriate skill level.
- Student-to-faculty ratio of 4 to 1.
- Consistent success in dramatically increasing English proficiency.
- Multiple levels of study in English speaking, listening, writing and reading.
- TOEFL preparation courses for all students.
- Individual portfolio for each student and prospective schools.
- Daily help sessions and supervised evening study hall.
- Structured activities beyond the classroom.
- Visits to campuses of prestigious American colleges.
- Diverse student population.
- More than 70 percent of our Senior Program participants attend or plan to attend, American boarding schools.
ESL+ in Recent History
Mercersburg has hosted students from more than 15 countries and sovereign areas in recent summers for its highly recognized Intensive English Language Programs. Students from (but not limited to) Azerbaijan, China, France, Hong Kong, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, and Turkey engaged in demanding academic studies, traveled on exciting cultural trips, and made friends with other students through fun social and athletic activities.