Mercersburg Academy extends its commitment to the global community with opportunities for summer study and cultural enrichment for international students. Nationally recognized as one of the top schools in the United States, Mercersburg is a private, college preparatory boarding school with a reputation for excellence that attracts young men and women in grades 9-12 from 29 states and 37 nations during the regular school year.
Our ESL+ summer program reflects this commitment to excellence. Extensive English development and rewarding cultural immersion experiences draw students who are committed to rigorous academic effort.
This intensive and creative program is open to international students who possess a working knowledge of the English language and are able to communicate on at least basic verbal and written levels. It features comprehensive and stimulating curriculum that improve communication skills in English speaking, listening, writing and reading.
In the classroom, ESL+ students are divided by skill level, regardless of age. All students, Seniors and Juniors, are evaluated when they arrive and placed into classes based on core English competencies. This proven method for learning places students in environments where they are properly challenged, paced and supported.
While courses are taught according to ability to digest information and to apply acquired knowledge, the use of progressive teaching principles allows students who qualify to move easily up levels of study as they master essential skills.
In the residential halls and in extracurricular activities, Junior and Senior students are often separated. Each group has its own dormitory supervisors, activity leaders and teaching assistants. Activities and events are catered to the social needs and demands of the specific group.
- Competitive admission and limited enrollment in each grade level.
- Diagnostic testing and placement in appropriate skill level.
- Student-to-faculty ratio of 4 to 1.
- Consistent success in dramatically increasing English proficiency.
- Multiple levels of study in English speaking, listening, writing and reading.
- TOEFL preparation courses for all students.
- Individual portfolio for each student and prospective schools.
- Daily help sessions and supervised evening study hall.
- Structured activities beyond the classroom.
- Visits to campuses of prestigious American colleges.
- Diverse student population.
- Over 70% of our Senior Program participants attend, or plan to attend, American boarding schools.
Mercersburg welcomed 74 students from 15 countries and sovereign areas in summer 2012 for its highly recognized Intensive English Language Programs. Students from Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia and South America engaged in demanding academic studies, traveled on exciting cultural trips, and made friends with other students through fun social and athletic activities.
Applying for ESL+
Now Accepting Applications for 2014!
Click here to download the application form*
*Reserve photo/video discounts do not apply to ESL+ Programs.